As our Twin-Cities based Engagement and Advocacy Associate you’ll work closely with our Advocacy Director and Legal Counsel, and with volunteers and supporters to build community support for WaterLegacy’s mission, engage citizens in self-advocacy, and help with policy research and preparation for hearings.
You’ll have the chance to develop skills, receive coaching and mentorship, and exercise your initiative to protect the environment and communities impacted by sulfide mining pollution. This position is part-time (20-25 hours/week).
Your Major Responsibilities:
- Identify, plan, staff and manage outreach events in the Twin Cities, including building relationships with volunteers, providing tabling materials, and reporting on results.
- Help educate, engage and motivate WaterLegacy members and supporters to sign petitions, letters, make calls, participate in direct action, and testify at public hearings.
- Provide research, editing and drafting to support advocacy and to assist advocacy director and witnesses in preparation for meetings and hearings.
- Support development activities through networking, phone calls and assistance with event planning.
- Learn to and make presentations on environmental issues to support organizing and advocacy.
- College degree or two years communications, organizing and outreach experience.
- Excellent verbal, written ,and social engagement communications skills.
- Self-motivated, outgoing, strong work ethic, able to work independently, maintain accountability and meet deadlines while handling multiple tasks.
- Proficient in use of communications tools including Microsoft Office applications, design software, social media, and capacity to learn database and web content entry skills.
- Passion for non-profit mission of protecting clean water and environmental justice.
- Reliable automobile, cell phone and recent model computer.
- Experience with media relations, fundraising, and preparing and delivering educational presentations.
- Cross-cultural competency and experience.
To Apply: Email your cover letter, resume, a brief writing sample (press release, social media post or other) and contacts for three references to Advocacy Director and Legal Counsel Paula Maccabee with the subject line “Application WaterLegacy Engagement and Advocacy Associate,” at email@example.com.